Monday, May 25, 2015

Grand River Triple


Steelhead season is officially over and the rivers for the most part are void of fishermen. I can take it to the bank that an early morning outing allows me to pick any spot I want without having to elbow my way onto the river.

It was a cold morning for late May, the temperature reading 35° on the car information screen. I thought a little too cold for strong feeding activity but hopefully I’d get some hits to warm things up. The area of the Grand I was fishing had produced some smallmouth in the past, so I felt confident in being able to fool one. I was in for a couple of small surprises.

I started by fishing under a bridge in a large pool. I chose a white wooly bugger, letting it sink as far as possible, and then using a slow retrieve to stay as close to the bottom as possible. Ten minutes in and I felt a nice tug. After setting the hook and playing the fish quickly I brought to hand a crappie. Having fished the Grand for five years, I knew there were crappies in the river but I had never caught one, and I’ve never seen anyone else catch one either. I can add another new species to my small, but growing list of fish on a fly, and with a sheepish grin, an automatic personal best.

Crappie on the fly. (Click image for larger view)

Moving downstream I started fishing a spot where the water picks up some speed allowing me to swing the fly in the current. Still using the white wooly bugger, I swung the fly and felt another gentle tug. I could tell it was a small fish and it was. Bringing the fish to hand I realized it was a rock bass. Add another new species to the list.

Rock bass.

I moved another 20 yards downstream to a spot that has a little slower moving water. Continuing to use the white wooly bugger, I made a cast that must have put the fly right on the fish. It was only a couple seconds and I felt a strong tug. I guessed a smallmouth and I was right. Even a small smallmouth puts up a nice fight.

Nice resident smallmouth.

None of these fish will wow anybody but for a cold morning I’ll take it. I used a 4wt so these fish were not overmatched, and they were fun to catch. The best part…I didn’t see another fishermen the entire time.

Go out and fool a fish! No matter how big or small!

No comments: