Wednesday, July 8, 2015

4th of July on the Pond



The rivers around northeast Ohio were not quite fishable due to the volume of rain we  received in the last few weeks. In fact, it has been three weeks since I’ve been able to do any river fishing. Itching to wet a line I decided to put the 4wt in the car with a few surface flies and hit Veteran’s Park in search of some panfish. Spending a few hours casting to these eager eaters is fun especially watching them grab a dry fly or small popper.

Being July 4th I knew the park was going to be busy so I got an early start and beat everyone to the water. The early morning started cool with temps around 56°. The first half hour was slow, and I wondered if I was going to take the skunk on a pond where sticking a finger in the water attracts several sunfish. As the sun made its way higher in the sky the temps and the fishing warmed up. The elk hair caddis started to see some action. I pulled in five sunfish in about a ten minute period.

The Elk Hair Caddis got a workout.
(Click on image for larger view.)
 
After the EHC was swallowed by more than one fish I changed to a small red and white popper. What was interesting is that a lot of sunfish came to the surface, inspected it, and just swiped at the short marabou tail. For awhile I didn’t think any of them were going to hit it, until one did. Then it was steady action. Over the next half hour I brought 10 sunfish to hand.

Red and white popper was appropriate for the 4th of July.

By now the pond was getting crowded and I gave myself only another half hour before heading home, so I quickly switched to a Griffith’s Gnat. I love this fly for panfish. It must look like filet mignon to them and has a hook size that makes it easier for them to grab it with their small mouths. In the course of that last half hour I brought in another eight.

The Griffith's Gnat...filet mignon for panfish.

Now none of these fish will equal the fight of nice smallmouth or trout but with a lightweight fly rod they will put a bend in it. So, when the rivers are not an option and you need a fix head for a local pond. You will have fun.

Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: