Wednesday, August 19, 2015

South Chagrin Reservation


I was able to get out for a few hours this morning and decided to fish the stretch of the Chagrin River in the Cleveland Metroparks South Chagrin Reservation. Its been several years since I fished this stretch of water. When I took up fly fishing five years ago I fished here and it was the spot where I hooked my first fish on a fly, so I was looking forward to hitting it again.

In many spots the section of the Chagrin that flows through the South Chagrin Reservation has a small stream look to it. There are tree-lined banks where you can’t make a backcast. Or, if the trees are on the opposite bank, you have to skip a cast low to get a drift. Also, most of the casts don’t have to be more than 20’ to get to the fishable spots.

Starting at daybreak I have learned to be ready for a first cast hookup. Today it happened, as I drifted a wooly bugger through a run and a smallmouth hit it. It doesn’t get any better than that….and it didn’t for about an hour. I was thinking first cast curse. Then after moving upstream a small, feisty rock bass hit the bugger.

 Feisty rock bass hit a wooly bugger
(Click on image for a larger view)

After another 45 minutes I hopped in the car and drove to another location in the reservation. This section of the river is a little more open with a sand bar on one side of the river and a shear wall on the opposite side. There were some downed trees that made good structure to concentrate on. This turned out to be a good spot.

The closer I got my cast to the bank the better it was. Throw the fly short by a couple of feet and there would be no action. Throwing the fly almost bouncing it off the bank would produce a strike. In a short period of time I was able to land a nice resident smallmouth and two rock bass.

Always fun to catch. This resident smallmouth put on an aerial display befoe coming to hand.

Driving home I started thinking about the success I’ve enjoyed this summer. Even though I’m no longer a beginner I still learn something every time out. That’s what makes fly fishing so interesting. Funny how it works out. Learn a little, get a little better.

The following are some of the keys to the success I’ve had. I’m sure these aren’t new to anyone who fishes but I can tell from experience that I did not know these things when I started. That explains why I was skunked most of the time that first year.

• Start early before the sun has a chance to hit the water or late in the day near dusk.
• Work shallow first, deeper pools later.
• Concentrate on faster moving sections of water. There’s more oxygen for the fish.
• Stay in the shade. It seems as though when the sun hits the water in the summer fishing slows down.
• Get the cast as close to structure as possible. A foot or two makes a big difference in hookup rate.
• Cover water. The fish are there. You just have to find them.
• Don’t fall in love with one color, one fly.

Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: