Thursday, October 29, 2015

Know Your River for More Success


One of the Lake Metroparks allows access to the northern stretch of the Chagrin River. This section of the Chagrin will hold steelhead early in the fall, until a big rain raises the level to allow migration further upstream. It’s a section that I’ve fished many times, and thought I knew the lies that would produce a steelhead. Fishing it this past week in low water conditions forced me to the deeper spots where the fish should be holding. After looking over the water, I knew the starting point was going to be the stairs, then the long pool about 100 yards downstream, and finally, across from the construction yard.

I tied on a white woolly bugger to imitate the baitfish that the steelies key on this time of the year. The area by the stairs has enough flow to allow the streamer to swing in the current after a down and across cast. This section can be covered in about 20 minutes. So, after a number of casts without a take, and mumbling to myself that we need rain, I decided to wade down to the long pool. Little did I know that a slight detour would make my day.

The flow of the Chagrin at this section takes the current towards the opposite bank, so the riffles and pools hug the right side of the river. The water was so low and clear that the bottom of the river was in view wherever you waded. Before getting to the long pool, I glanced over to the bank and spotted some darker water. Now, I’ve waded this stretch many times and never remember seeing this small spot. It was a short riffle that emptied into a small pool about 15’ in length. The head of the pool was about 3’ wide and at the tail, about 10’. What threw me was the dark water. Wading over to it I was surprised at the depth, as the bottom could not be seen.

Because the pool was small, I only needed about a rod length of line along with the leader. I made my first cast toward the bank and let the current drift the streamer. I could tell from the tip of the line that the current was also pushing the leader and streamer deeper. After letting the streamer hang in the water for a few seconds I gave it a short strip when the line went tight. Setting the hook, the fish immediately made a run to the end of the pool and jumped, shaking its head. The rest of the battle was spent with short runs through the pool before it finally came to the net. I estimated the fish at about 19”, and for its size, it was the best fight I’ve had landing a steelhead. It did not want to quit. You can see from the photo it was a fresh fish, probably only in the river a few days. You can also see the white woolly bugger just above the head of the fish. It fell out on its own shortly after being netted. Call me lucky, I will.

Fresh steelhead ,about 19" in length. Strong fish put up a good fight. The white woolly bugger is visible above the head.
(Click on image for a larger view.)

That was it for the day, as the other spots didn’t hold any fish. For me, it’s never going to be a numbers game. Catching only one, having it put up a good fight, and finding a new spot makes this outing a success. The day made me realize that I need to be more observant of the waters I fish.

Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: