Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The Wind Won


Several of the fishermen who battled the wind in search of steel.
(Click on image for larger view.)
 
Northeast Ohio has enjoyed a relatively warm and dry November. The normal, November high temperature for the area is around 57° (F). Many days, the temperature reached the mid-to-upper 60’s (F), with a few days above 70° (F). While there have been a couple of cool fronts, the temps didn’t stay low for long. This has allowed fishermen a chance to chase steelhead without worrying about how many layers of clothes are needed. That’s about to change, with a major cold front due the end of this week. This “slap in the face” will take the temperatures below freezing, and according to the weather forecast, keep them there for 3-4 days. In addition, the area is supposed to receive its first measurable snowfall, meaning we’ll have to get the shovel out and move some snow. So, if I was going to get a day on the water it had to be today, or I could be sidelined for more than a week, if and when the rivers blow out.

The only downside to these warm days this time of the year is that the wind is usually a little stronger than normal. Up until this week the wind has been very manageable, not affecting the ability to cast a streamer or nymph. That certainly changed yesterday, as the winds were gusting to 20 mph, and only got stronger last night. When I woke up at 1:00AM I thought I heard the sound of a train. It took me about five seconds to realize that roar was the wind. After hearing that sound I had a restless night, knowing that my day on the river just got tougher.

I consider myself an OK fly caster, but my fear is an OK caster may not cut it battling gusty winds up to 40 mph. I have fished on days when the wind was up, but not close to the speed that was going on today. After all, 40 mph is about the minimum speed for a tropical storm.

I made my way to the river, and the stretch of water I started fishing flows south to north. The water had white caps whenever a stronger gust blew through. The wind was out of the south, so it was into my right arm, which is my casting arm. If I wasn’t careful the risk of the fly being blown into my neck or ear was high. In addition, I had to move downstream, so the wind would always be off my casting arm.

Well, using a variety of casts including sidearm, roll, and turning my back to the river, I made it through the session without any scars, but I found out that the only thing worse than fighting a strong wind, is fighting a strong wind, and not having the fish cooperate. After fishing over a half mile of river without a take, I had enough. The wind won. Even worse, I had to walk/wade back upstream to the car……against the wind!

I guess misery loves company. There were about a dozen fishermen on the river using a variety of fly rods, spinning gear, and spey rods, and all of them looked to be struggling with the wind as well.

With all this moaning you’d think I had a bad day. Not me. Any day on the water is a good day.

Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: