Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Sometimes You Have To Listen To The Devil


As I write this, the temperature is about 15° F and the rivers are slushy, with some shelf ice starting to form. For someone retired who can’t keep his feet warm, not the best weather. The warmest December on record ended quickly, and January began with more typical winter weather. This is my dead zone. It’s that time of the year when weather puts a damper on fishing. I can still get out, but often the window is short. Trying to catch a day when the water and the air temperature are on the rise is like rolling dice. Some days you hit the number, other days you crap out.
The devil won, again.

At times I feel like I’m in a cartoon with an angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other. The angel keeps telling me the steelhead will be in the rivers for the next four months, so if I miss a week or two in January due to weather I’ll still have my shots at them. The devil is telling me there’s a fresh run of steelhead in the rivers and the bite is hot.

Supposed to be in the 40’s Thursday. I guess the devil just won.

Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: