Wednesday, February 3, 2016

60 Seconds With Mike Durkalec


Today I am beginning a series of quick interviews with people close to the fishing industry. Some of the people you may recognize, others you won’t, but all will have something of interest for everyone. The title, “60 Seconds With”, hopefully will be the time it will take to read the interview.

The first interview will be with Michael Durkalec, Aquatic Biologist, for the Cleveland Metroparks. Mike is very close to the fishing community in northeast Ohio. To update local fishermen on current fishing conditions Mike publishes a weekly fishing report on the Cleveland Metroparks website. He is extremely knowledgeable in all types of fishing methods, and has been the guest speaker at many local fishing expos.

Mike with a huger brown trout from a recent fishing trip.

Q: Growing up, a lot of kids want to be a policeman or fireman. I don't know of any who have said they wanted to be an aquatic biologist. How did you decide that was going to be your path in life?

A: I had an affinity for fishing and water from a very early age. I also performed well in the sciences. But it wasn't until early in college when I was majoring in biology I came to an epiphany. I was enjoying a beautiful spring day fishing for steelhead on the Rocky River, thinking about what I could do with my life when it came to me - could I find a career option in which I could enjoy my love of fishing AND my inclination toward sciences together? Follow up research revealed the field of fisheries biology as an option, and after obtaining my B.S. in Biology I followed up with an M.S. in Fisheries Management from Ohio State University, and ended up on the track which brings me to where I am today. I have zero regrets that I found the right path for me.

Q: What are your responsibilities as an aquatic biologist for the Cleveland Metroparks?

A: I oversee all aspects of the Park District fisheries program, much of the water quality monitoring, and serve as an advocate and expert on water issues. The fisheries program involves active fish management (ie- stocking, population surveys, and habitat improvement), providing fishing information to the public in many forms, and hosting fishing programs. But I do have great diversity in my job, which I love, and never quite know what surprises will come up from day to day. That's part of what I find so rewarding about public service.

Q: The Rocky River Reservation is one of the crown jewels for the Metroparks. What is it about the Rocky River that makes it one of the best rivers in the country for fishing?

A: A combination of lots of public land on 31 miles of the Rocky River protected by our parks coupled with an excellent stocking program (Ohio Department of Natural Resources and Metroparks collaboration) and a diversity of native resident and migratory Lake Erie fishes. We are proud to be the largest landowner in the state of Ohio on a particular stream. I owe this is large part to the forward looking vision of our park founders.

Q: Several weeks ago you published a portion of the fishing log you kept during the 1990's and early 2000's. In a three day period you hooked 228 steelhead. Those are numbers we don't see these days. What changed from then to now?

A: There were more steelhead, and far less pressure in those days. That instance was in a remote valley on a western NY stream that is now much more heavily fished. Why were there more fish then? Likely a combination of more sea lamprey parasites now impacting their numbers adversely, coupled with changes in the ecosystem. For example, the massive number of non native quagga mussels in the lake filtering out plankton (the base of the aquatic food web) has undoubtedly had some adverse affect on food availability to fishes. Expansive, late summer dead zones (oxygen void areas), due to algae blooms is likely another factor. Asian carp knocking at the door of the Great Lakes is another concern. It's a huge, complex system that is affected by many interwoven factors that scientists are continually learning about.

Q: What are the chances of seeing those numbers again?

A: Hard to say, but I'm guessing the number of anglers out there are more likely to increase than the reverse. BUT- I can tell you from experience that you don't need that many fish to have a great day. In fact, catching a good number of fish, yet few enough that each one is memorable, makes for a better quality outing. I can say this from experience. My perfect day is a beautiful day on the water with a good friend where we fish thoroughly, and hook 20 or so steelhead. Far from my best numbers, but great by any standard, and enough fish to keep things very interesting. And still a very realistic goal in the scope of our current steelhead program, which, frankly, is among the best anywhere. And I've fished all over the US and Canada, so I feel I have a good perspective to appreciate that.



Thanks Mike for your valuable insights!

Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: