Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Smallmouth Fishing Is A Job This Summer


For whatever reason fishing for smallies in the northeast Ohio rivers feels like a job this summer. There’s a lot of hard work going into catching just a few resident smallies. I don’t know if it is the weather pattern this year or something else but the fish haven’t been as active as they’ve been in the last few years. I’ve even caught a lot less creek chubs, and they eat just about anything. The fishing just hasn’t been “on fire”.

Today I made a trip to the South Chagrin Reservation. There are several spots where I can honestly say always produce. Two pools in particular just scream “there’s fish in here”. I threw everything I could at them and nothing, not even a bump.

A short drive to another location that had been good to me in the past finally produced some fish. For resident smallies, they were decent size. Catching them on a topwater slider was a bonus. I just love when the water swirls and the smallie attacks the slider. I guess hard work does have its rewards.

 For a resident smallie, this is a nice size. Hard fighter with thick shoulders.
(Click on image for a larger view.)


This smallie couldn't get enough of the topwater slider. Notice the deep red in the eye.

For a retired guy, I can't wait to go to work again.

Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: