Saturday, December 8, 2018

Sometimes You Just Have To Laugh At Yourself


I managed to get out for a couple of hours on one of my favorite stretches of water. It’s a spot where this time of the year offers more action than a half off sale on Black Friday. Rigging up the night before, I didn’t even agonize over the choice of streamer. All indications pointed to white, as the fresh push of steelhead still had shiners on their mind. Good choice, even if I did get in my own way for a bit.

Sure enough, within a few minutes of stepping in the water, I hooked and landed a strong male that exhausted itself with multiple runs up and down the pool. Too tired to thrash around, the chrome posed for a quick picture, and was released. I checked the knot and leader, making sure no nicks showed up that could weaken the connection. Everything looked fine, so I moved on to another spot.

Strong male with some nice color
 (Click on image for larger view.)

This close-up shows a nice hooked jaw. Its been around a few years.

There’s a stretch of water, probably 60 yards long, that has a deep slot where steelhead will lay waiting for their next meal. For the second time in a row I had the water to myself, so I waded to the head of the run and began the methodical cast, swing, step process. A few casts in and I snag the rig on a rock. Working it free without disturbing the water, I again checked the knot and leader. It all looked fine. Continuing to cast I made my way downstream. Something didn’t seem right. There are no guarantees when fishing but I should have gotten at least a bump through that stretch. I decided to reel in and move to another spot. It’s about this time I let out a sharp expletive, followed by laughter. After all, fishing is supposed to be fun, isn't it? Somewhere, somehow, the streamer came off. Inspecting the leader, there still weren’t any nicks, or the telltale curly tippet that exposes a failed knot. I can’t explain what happened or when it happened. I don’t know if I was streamerless for one cast or twenty. Normally, during the backcast I can see the streamer as it travels behind me. I must have zoned out because I can’t recall even watching the backcast.

After all that, I still went home a happy guy. Spent time on the water, caught a fish, and laughed at myself. Can you say that?

Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: