Friday, February 20, 2015

When Fencing Made Fishing Possible


My grandfather not only made sinkers but also made rods. Never having a lot of money to buy new equipment he would scour the scrap yards for any steel or aluminum that could be made into a tapered rod. In addition, he realized that a fencing foil would be ideal. Oftentimes he would go to Case Institute of Technology, now Case-Western Reserve, and watch the fencing team practice. Whenever a foil broke he would ask for the broken parts. From those parts he would construct a rod that may not have been a beauty to look at but was very functional. The quadrangular shape of the foil made for a sturdy rod.

(Click on image for larger view)

Unfortunately what remains from my grandfather’s creations is a rod made from a round tapered piece of steel. The rod from butt to tip is only about 5’ in length. I’m assuming the handle was from a previous rod as to my knowledge my grandfather did not make handles or reels. My guess is the rod is at least 75 years old.


Here is a close-up view of one of the guides. You can see how the guide was soldered to the rod. Again, very functional for that time.


The reel that was paired with this rod was a Pflueger Summit. It has the most intricate design pattern that I’ve ever seen on a reel. I don’t know if the reel was the original one used with the rod but it is the one that was paired with the rod when I used it as a child. The line on the reel is at least as old as the rod. It is brown in color and has the texture of a braid. If someone could do a DNA test on the line I’m sure they would find traces of catfish, carp, perch, and sheepshead.

Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: