Monday, March 16, 2015

Fast Forward 40 Years


As I mentioned in my last post, other than an attempt at ice fishing, I didn’t fish for 40 years. I don’t want to overanalyze the reasons for not fishing. Things change. People change. Interests change. What I didn’t realize was how much I missed it.

In the summer of 2010 my sister-in-law and her husband came in for a visit. Art and Ginny have been avid fly fishermen for a long time. If I remember correctly, Art took up fly fishing just about the time I quit fishing. So, he’s been at it for at least 40 years. Whenever we would get together we’d talk a little about fly fishing and Art always said that if I ever wanted to get into it he would spend some time with me. I had taken up golf and felt that I didn’t have time for two hobbies. But, as I got older my lower back would act up, preventing me from playing as often as I liked. So I think the time was right to get back to fishing.

When Art showed up he brought one of his fly rods. My backyard is big enough to make a 30’ cast, so it was perfect. He spent about an hour showing me the basics of casting, and it took me almost that whole hour to get a feel for the cast. Having Art there critiquing me was important. I don’t know how anyone can get the basics without another set of eyes watching. He was able to point out that I was breaking my wrist on the back cast and not stopping on the forward cast. The session helped to get the fire started but it wasn’t until the Spring of 2011 that I went all in.

The Fall and Winter months were spent reading as much as possible, and asking Art hundreds of questions about fly fishing. I also spent some time at the local Orvis shop and Chagrin River Outfitters. What I found out was that in northeast Ohio fly fishing is about steelhead, bass, carp, and panfish. There are limited opportunities for trout, as the rivers and streams get too warm in the summer to support trout. I did ultimately find out that the Mad River in southwest Ohio, the Clear Fork River in central Ohio and Cold Creek in northwest Ohio do receive stockings of trout.

In March of 2011 I finally bought a fly rod and reel and began to wander around the Grand and Chagrin Rivers. My first attempt at fly fishing was less than stellar. I thought a warm March Sunday would be perfect so I went to Helen Hazen Wyman Park. I scoped out the park and found that it had easy access to the Grand. Not only can you fish the Grand but Big Creek also flows through the park. Never having waded before I didn’t want my first adventure to be difficult.

 Big Creek  with five fishermen looking for steelhead

Big Creek gets a nice run of steelies in the Spring.

When I arrived to a full parking lot it sunk in that steelhead fishing was popular around here. Reaching the river there were about 20 fishermen sharing about a 100 yard stretch of water. I had read that fly fishing is very peaceful, but that was not my first impression.

Finally on the water, and everything I had read was suddenly forgotten. I put on an egg pattern (remembered that) and started casting. After a number of casts I realized the fly was right below the surface. Forgot split shot. Put some on and got the fly down so that was my first learning moment. My second came a few minutes later.

I mentioned that wading was new to me but I came prepared with waders and boots. After having fished a section of the river I wanted to move to another spot. Turning downstream, the force of the water pushed me from behind causing me to lose my balance. In I went. Boy, that water was cold. The second learning moment was clear to me. Be careful wading. Made a quick end to the day.

First time out and I learned two things while being skunked. It would slowly get better, very slowly.

Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: