Sunday, March 27, 2016

Support Your Local Retail Fishing Shops


In trying to keep up with the fishing industry I will spend some time surfing the internet and will often visit a few fishing forums. One topic that seems to be discussed on almost all the sites is the local fishing shop vs the big boxes. In fact, this topic is only second behind the never ending discussion of stocking fish over wild ones.

My father owned a retail auto parts store, and I spent many hours working there, so I have some insight to how important local support is. For the most part, small, local retail stores catering to the fishing trade, whether it is a fly shop or a bait shop, are run by the owners who grew up in the area. They love what they are doing. It’s not just a job, it’s a career fueled by passion.

The owners I have met are happy to see you. They are very knowledgeable, and are willing to share that knowledge. Ask them a question and you’ll get the right answer. What flies are working? They know. Which rivers are producing? They’ll tell you that also. It’s never an intrusion.

Did you ever ask a clerk in a big chain to explain the differences between two products and get a blank stare? I’m sure we all have at one time. It’s not necessarily the clerks fault. If big chains don’t provide proper training then the clerk will have a hard time servicing the customer. To me, part of training is using the products. There’s a faster learning curve when someone uses the product as opposed to being told about the product. In a big chain I’m sure the clerks don’t use all the products. But, ask a local shop owner the difference between two brands of waders and you’ll receive enough information to make a decision.

I also believe the local fishing shops can help make you a more successful fisherman. I’ve learned a lot from the shops I deal with. Whether it’s help with casting, how to read water, or setting up a steelhead rig, they can help. The best part of dealing with the local shops is you are forming a long term relationship with someone just as passionate about fishing as you are.

Brian Trow (left), and his brother, Colby (not pictured), from Mossy Creek Fly Fishing, have made me (right) a better fishermen.


So, if you’re going through your gear in anticipation of getting on the water, make a visit to your local fishing shop. You’ll be glad you did.

In ending, I want to give a shout out to the shops I deal with. You have made me a better fisherman.

Mad River Outfitters, Columbus, OH
Contact Mad River Outfitters


Mossy Creek Fly Fishing, Harrisonburg, VA
Contact Mossy Creek Fly Fishing


Rodmakers Shop, Strongsville, OH
Contact Rodmakers Shop


Chagrin River Outfitters, Chagrin Falls, OH
Contact CRO


George Anderson’s Yellowstone Angler, Livingston, MT
Contact Yellowstone Angler


Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: