Tuesday, March 22, 2016

The Grand River Was Rockin’

Crack of dawn on the Grand
(Click on image for larger view.)

Dry conditions the last week or so helped the Grand River find its prime flow, at least for me. The water steadily dropped to under 600cfs, which is about my upper limit. I found that higher than that, and I have to put so much weight on the line, it feels like I'm casting an anchor. Maybe if I had better technique it wouldn’t be a problem. But, that’s for another post.

Easy access and good fishing makes the Lake Metroparks a popular destination for steelheaders.

Accessing the Grand at Helen Hazen Wyman Park, I managed to fish for about three hours today with 20 of my closest friends. Doesn’t anyone work anymore? Overall, the steelhead action was brisk, as many fishermen had multiple hookups. But for me, and a few others who started fishing the riffles, it was a slow start. I don’t know about other fishermen but when I’m not catching anything and others are, I feel like I’m watching a movie instead of having a part in it. Early on, all the hookups were in the slower, deeper sections of the river. I did find a spot in one of the pools, changed from an egg pattern to a chartreuse woolly bugger, and started to see some action. So, today, the movie had a happy ending.

A nice 18" fattie. Been in the river just long enough for some color.

Stay tuned for the sequel!

Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: