Friday, April 22, 2016

Steelhead Season Is Coming To A Close


Time is running out on the 2015-2016 steelhead season. With the help of El Nino, fishermen had seven months of relatively nice weather this past Fall, Winter, and early Spring. Spawning activity is continuing, with the late arrivals going through the process now. Those steelhead who have been in the river, and completed their spawning, are dropping back to Lake Erie. There have been many reports of steelhead being caught that look beat up from all the spawning. Unfortunately, I witnessed one of those beat up fish today.

I fished the Grand River early this morning to hit some of the deeper pools, hoping to pick up a dropback. I was swinging a black wooly bugger when a chromer hit it. It put up a good fight, but in the end the fish came to hand. Looking at the fish closely, there were scars on its sides, and the tail and mouth were raw. It certainly paid the price.

This 23" hen was beat up from the spawning process. Princess Warrior.
(Click on image for larger view.)
 
I have never felt sorry for any fish I’ve caught. Everyone I’ve caught was revived and released to live another day. But, I actually felt sorry for this one. When I landed it, I kept it in the water and grabbed by camera for a quick shot. Still feisty, the fish flopped a few times and landed on some rocks. I gathered the fish in my hands and placed it back in the water. It took about a minute or so for the fish to revive and swim off. I hope it makes its way back to the lake. Let’s hope this fish, and all the others make it back to the lake, put their feedbags on, grow strong, and come back next fall.

With May right around the corner, it’s time to target smallmouth bass. The lake run smallies have begun to show up in the rivers. This run usually lasts until late May, and there are some trophies pushing 5 lbs. to be had. If you like wading rivers looking for smallies, May is your month.

Get your share of the lake run smallies.

Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: