Sunday, September 18, 2016

The Target Has Changed



Well, it’s only a few days before the start of Autumn, the night time temperatures have been touching the 40’s, and a big rain event pushed up the water levels on the northeast Ohio tribs. That only means one thing, time to change the target. Steelhead are making their initial push into the rivers, with reports of success already trickling in. Good bye smallmouth. See you in the Spring.

 Hey smallie, see you in the Spring.
(Click on image for larger view.)

I reviewed my fishing journal from last September, and realized that this same week last year I hooked into my first steelhead of the year. Unfortunately, I had my 4wt outfit trying for a late season smallie. I was stripping a steamer through a pool when I felt a tug that tells you this is not a 10” smallmouth. The chromer hammered it, and the 5X tippet didn’t stand a chance. That fish was fresh and hot. So, I’m not making the same mistake this year. The 8wt is coming out, and in another 6-8 weeks more layers of clothing, and fighting with leaves. Can’t wait!

Steelhead season.
Cast, swing, step. Cast, swing, step. Repeat

Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: