Thursday, October 20, 2016

Fall Trip To Mohican State Park

The covered bridge makes for a great photo any time of the year.
(Click on image for larger view.)

What is turning out to be an annual event, my wife and I made a day trip to Mohican State Park in Loudonville, Ohio. If we time it right, the fishing and fall colors make for a great day. This year the colors were at, or close to peak. The fishing…not so much. The water was low and crystal clear. The first part of the day the water was void of leaves, but then we had a major leaf hatch, and by the time we called it quits around noon the surface of the water was covered with leaves.

As for the fishing, I moved up and downstream to find some deeper pools. There were a few spots but the fish didn’t want to play. I did manage to hook into a small largemouth bass, but that was it. In the past few years the Ohio Department of Natural Resources stocks the lower Clear Fork River that flows through the park with brown trout. I didn’t see any trout, so the stocking may not yet have occurred.

Look close. The only hookup of the day.

Before calling it a day, we took one last walk upstream and as if out of nowhere I spotted some bass, bluegills, and suckers hanging out in the middle of a few downed trees. Unfortunately the only way I could get a fly to them was to dap a woolly bugger. I spent about 10 minutes trying to entice a strike, but they didn’t want to play. Just a tough day.

Here's nice shot of a few bluegill hanging around some cover.

I want to share some of the sights captured by my wife. The colors were spectacular. There is also a video to view. Remember, the fishing was tough, so what you will see will be the fall colors, and some casting to fish that weren't there. Enjoy.


Early in the morning the leaves were not present.






Come mid-morning the leaves were hatching..





Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: