Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Sometimes I’m My Worst Enemy


If it wasn’t for me getting in my own way I’d catch a few more fish. As an example, the other day I got out to the Grand River early to grab a good spot, and swing a streamer in search of chrome. You know the process, cast, swing, step, repeat. Unless you catch a good pool stacked with steelhead, swinging a streamer usually isn’t a big numbers game. I’m happy for a fish or two. So, when the day is slow, one strike could make the difference.

As it turned out, this day was very slow. I worked several runs and pools and couldn’t buy a strike. Then I made a cast toward a downed tree in about 4’ of water. After a good mend, the streamer started to swing across the current. At this time I noticed a huge flock of starlings flying overhead. With the color in the trees already making a good autumn photograph, watching the starlings fly over against the sky was an added bonus. Just as I turned around to look at the remaining birds I got the strike I was waiting for. Unfortunately, my mind was elsewhere, and by the time I made a hookset it was too late. An expletive echoed across the water, followed by that inner voice, “you suck”. What really sucked was that ended up being the only strike of the day.

The colors were too much for me to ignore Unfortunately, my only strike came at
a time when I was soaking in the view, not watching the water..

The worst part of this is I’ve done this more times than I care to remember. When it happens, it is usually the first cast when I’m just getting settled in or after an hour or two with no action. The sad thing is I’m aware of my tendency to brain freeze, but still get in my own way.

But it’s time to turn this into a positive. Some fishermen have a go to fly or lure when things are slow. Me, I’m going to turn off the brain, make a cast, look to the sky, and then quickly look back to the line, and set the hook. Doing this a few times will either catch a fish, or give me a case of vertigo.

Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: