Wednesday, January 18, 2017

If Only The Fish Had Cooperated


It’s the middle of winter and hard core fishermen try to steal any time they can on the water. I’m not sure I fit that category although my wife may say I’m crazy. But Old Man Winter has lost his grip for a few days. It is Mid-January, and temperatures are approaching 60° in steelhead alley. Who can pass up a chance to get on the water? Maybe the fish will cooperate.

Last week all the rivers were blown out. Now, most of the rivers are fishable. It’s time to get out before the next rain event. Maybe the fish will cooperate.

For me, I’m going to hit a creek that flows into the Grand River. It’s in good shape. Maybe the fish will cooperate.

Being retired it seems that these days my toughest decisions revolve around whether I should drift an egg pattern or swing a streamer? I’ll take the easy way out and try a little of both. Maybe the fish will cooperate.

Sunday and Monday are out, so Tuesday’s the day. Warmer temps mean one or two less layers of clothing, and no ice on the guides. Perfect. Maybe the fish will cooperate.

Tuesday comes and there’s rain in the area, but it looks like there’s a window of dry weather for a couple of hours. I arrive at the creek and there’s another car in the lot. He’s downstream, so I head in the opposite direction, and hit a couple of pools. The water was stained from the overnight rain but still fishable. Working an egg pattern through the pool attracted nothing but a small branch. Time to switch to the streamer. Cast after cast produced nothing. Change colors, nothing. The fish aren’t cooperating.

This creek had good flow, and a slight stain. Perfect conditions early. If only the fish had cooperated.
(Click on image for larger view.)
 
Through all this I didn’t notice the sky was darkening. Then the rain started. I decided to take a break and head to the car. At about the same time I reached the car a loud rumble began. The thunder was just as good as any summertime storm and it hung around for a few minutes. Then the heavy rain started. So, my outing was cut short after two hours with nothing to show for it.

If only the fish had cooperated.

Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: