Thursday, May 25, 2017

Rock Bass Get No Respect


The poor rock bass gets no respect. Fish for smallmouth and often a rock bass will hit your fly or lure. You won’t get a jolt that a smallie can put on a line but a slight bump. Dare I use that word “nibble”? I’ve always thought of them as a warm water fish, so when they start biting the waters are warming, which should improve the fishing for smallmouth. So catching them is a good sign.

Rock bass like clear water with rocky structure. Don't be surprised to catch one when fishing for smallies.

One of the most active five minutes I’ve had on a river involved rock bass. I was fishing a stretch of the Chagrin River with my 4 wt. and came up on a small boulder near a bank. It looked like a “fishy” spot. Casting a small, chartreuse woolly bugger, I let it swing through the downstream side of the boulder. First drift and I feel that slight bump. Sure enough, a rock bass comes to hand. Second drift, same thing. I ended up pulling seven rock bass and one small largemouth from behind that boulder in the next five minutes. Sure, they weren’t smallies but I won’t pass up a chance to catch a fish. A fisherman cannot control what hits their fly or lure. Enjoy the activity. And, with ultra light gear, have some fun.

Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: