Tuesday, August 1, 2017

A Good Storm Would Help


H2O, water, rain, we need it. The rivers in northeast Ohio are running as low as they have in a long time. Both the Grand and the Rocky are flowing at less than 30 cfs, while the Chagrin, where I fished this morning, is flowing at around 70. We could use a big flush to freshen things up, and get the fish moving again.

Even the deeper pools are low enough to see any bottom structure.
(Click on image for larger view.)

Low water does have its benefits. Seeing the bottom structure can be helpful in spotting likely holding lies and identifying potential snags. Pools that have some depth now will be even more inviting with higher flows during steelhead season.

Today’s outing started in a way I didn’t want it to. Being superstitious, I don’t want a hookup on the first cast. I’ve had a few trips were I caught something on the first cast and then nothing after that. So, now I’ll just dump the cast to let some line out. And I did that today but seconds later a smallie hit the streamer. After releasing it my inner voice said “Man, I hope that’s not the only strike today.” Fortunately, it wasn’t.

First cast smallie. I'm still superstitious even though I wasn't shut out the rest of the day.

That first fish, and the other six that came to hand, were all caught in the faster water. Problem was, I spent too much time in the slower water throwing topwater poppers. For whatever reason, the smallies wanted nothing to do with a surface fly. Still, it was a good day.

 I was hoping to get into some topwater action today but it didn't happen. 
This smallie hit a yellow popper from a previous outing.

This guy let me get close. Even he didn't have any success in the slower pools.

This heron had no luck fishing the slower pools. I didn't either.

Finally, I came across this rock formation. A rock balancer hit the Chagrin and left it behind. Nice job, but it won't last with the next bump in flows, whenever that happens.

A Rock balancer left behind this exclamation point.

Go out and fool a fish!

No comments: